What is Early College At Your High School?

Early College At Your High School is a concurrent enrollment educational program that provides high school students with the opportunity to earn college credit while also completing the requirements for high school graduation.

The Early College At Your High School Program is a partnership between the Community College System of New Hampshire and high schools that allows high school students to take CCSNH college courses at their own high school, during the regular school day, taught by high school teachers qualified at the same credential level as college instructors.

What is the difference between a course in the Early College At Your High School program and an Advance Placement (AP) course?

There are many differences between the courses offered through concurrent enrollment programs and courses offered through other accelerated learning programs such as Advanced Placement (AP):

  • Concurrent enrollment courses are college courses.
  • Concurrent enrollment students earn transcripted college credits that may be transferred into many other colleges/universities across the country.
  • Concurrent enrollment students earn a college grade based on a variety of assessments, not just one high-stakes test.

Who is eligible to participate in this program?

Course offerings are available to eligible sophomores, juniors and seniors. Exceptions to this policy require prior approval from the appropriate college faculty department head. Further restrictions may apply as determined by the college. For information regarding eligibility requirements of a specific course, contact the high school guidance counselor.

How do I register for a course?

To register for credit, students must complete a registration form, have it signed by a parent or guardian and submit it with payment by the specified deadline. Registration forms may be obtained from your teacher at the beginning of each semester. Students cannot retroactively enroll in a college course. All college prerequisites must be met. 

For information regarding course offerings, contact the guidance counselor at your high school, or refer to your Program of Studies Guide.

Registering for a CCSNH course incurs a financial obligation to CCSNH on the part of the student/parent. Non-payment of tuition will result in the student’s account being placed on a financial hold and may be turned over to an outside collection agency. This means the college will not release an official transcript and the student will be prohibited from registering for any further courses in the Running Start program until financial obligations are met.

What courses are available at my high school?

Talk to the high school counselor to learn what courses are offered at your high school.

What does the program cost?

The cost for a CCSNH course offered through Early College At Your High School is $150, excluding the cost of textbooks and other instructional materials. Payment is required at the time of registration and is non-refundable.

Payment of tuition does not ensure CCSNH credit. Students must complete the course to earn the credit.

Various scholarships are available to qualified students, usually based on financial need. Scholarships are applied toward the cost of tuition only. For information about scholarships, contact the Running Start Coordinator in your school’s service area.

Can I access my grades online?

Students enrolled in CCSNH courses through Early College At Your High School will obtain dual/concurrent high school and college credit. The CCSNH grade for the course is determined by grading criteria established by the college.  The high school grade is determined by grading criteria established by the high school.

The college does not mail grades to students. Students may obtain grades and student account information online by going to the individual CCSNH college’s Student Information System (SIS).

How do I know if my credits can transfer to a specific college or university?

While no college/university can guarantee the transfer of credit, a survey conducted of Early College At Your High School alumni shows that a majority of postsecondary institutions in the U.S. grant either elective or required credit for courses. It is important for students to contact the universities/colleges that they would like to attend to verify how each school handles transfer credits. Policies vary by institution and state. Policies may also vary by academic department within a postsecondary institution.

How do I request a transcript?

To have an official college transcript sent to the college or university you plan on attending, complete a Transcript Request Form and either mail or fax it to the Office of the Registrar at the college through which your course was offered. You may download a Transcript Request Form from the college’s website that offered the course. Due to FERPA regulations, transcripts can only be requested by the student.

Can I take a course online?

High school students interested in taking CCSNH courses online for concurrent credit should visit the eStart website.

Can I take a college course if I have a disability?

Students with disabilities are expected to demonstrate the same level of understanding of course material and meet the same minimum skill performance standards as all other students receiving college credit.

Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and 504 plans will not be applied to these curricula if college credit is being sought. In order to receive college credit, the curriculum must not be modified.

Students in need of college level accommodations should contact the Coordinator of Disabilities Services at the college through which the course is being offered and submit appropriate documentation of their disability. After reviewing the documentation, the Coordinator will work with the student to develop a Reasonable Accommodation Plan. For best results, contact should be made early in the semester or, if possible, before classes begin.

Get on a path to a rewarding career

Choose a college