Student Parent Information

Student Parent Information

Students who participate in a concurrent enrollment program are able to earn high school credit and college credit simultaneously.  The courses taught through the Running Start program are college courses delivered at the high school by credentialed high school faculty as part of the daily class schedule.   

Taking a college course while still in high school helps students learn about college expectations and sharpen academic skills while offering them a chance to discover what college classes are like before they arrive on a college campus.  That means students will have a "Running Start" on other first-year students who have no prior college experience.

Accepting the challenge of taking college coursework shows that a student is serious and wants to make the most of his/her educational career. 

For more opportunities to earn concurrent high school and college credit, consider eStart, the online version of Running Start which is described at

Course Expectations

CCSNH courses are college courses; therefore, they will make greater demands on students’ abilities to conceptualize, understand implications, and draw conclusion from their reading and research than most high school courses.  The courses go into greater depth, often take more time and work, and challenge students to greater accomplishments.  Students accept these challenges when they register for a CCSNH course, and parents should understand that their sons and daughters will experience appropriately stringent college grading standards.

To enroll in English or Math courses, students may be required to take a placement assessment test. These tests are offered for a very small fee at the college or high school prior to registration.


Course offerings are restricted to juniors and seniors.  Exceptions to this policy require prior approval from the appropriate college faculty department head.  Further restrictions may apply as determined by the college.  For information regarding the eligibility requirements of a specific course, contact your guidance counselor at your high school.  


To register for credit, students must complete a registration form, have it signed by a parent or guardian, and submit it with payment by the specified deadline.  Registration forms may be obtained from your teacher at the beginning of each semester. Students cannot retroactively enroll in a college course.  All college prerequisites must be met. 

For information regarding course offerings, contact the guidance counselor at your high school, or refer to your Program of Studies Guide.

Registering for a CCSNH course incurs a financial obligation to CCSNH on the part of the student/parent.  Non-payment of tuition will result in the student's account being placed on a financial hold and may be turned over to an outside collection agency. This means the college will not release an official transcript and the student will be prohibited from registering for any further courses in the Running Start program until financial obligations are met.

Tuition & Costs

The cost for a CCSNH course offered through Running Start is $150, excluding the cost of textbooks and other instructional materials, where appropriate.  Payment is required at the time of registration and is non-refundable. 

Payment of tuition does not ensure CCSNH credit.  Students must complete the course to earn the credit. 

Various scholarships are available to qualified students, usually based on financial need.  Scholarships are applied toward the cost of tuition only. For information about scholarships contact the Running Start Coordinator in your school's service area. Scholarship notifications are emailed to students at the email address provided on their Running Start Registraion form.  Email Teri Laflamme if a verification of scholarship is needed.

Running Start students who apply to any of the CCSNH Colleges may request that the application fee be waived.

Dropping a Course

Students who wish to drop a course must inform their teachers in accordance with policies established by CCSNH.

A drop form (available from your high school teacher) must be completed, signed by the teacher, and submitted to the Running Start Coordinator by the official deadline for dropping a course. Please review the calendar on the college web site for specific dates.

If a student fails to officially withdraw from the CCSNH course, the student will receive an “AF” grade (administrative failure) which is calculated the same as an “F” grade.

Withdrawing from a course is not the responsibility of the Running Start Coordinator or the high school teacher. The student must go through the proper steps and meet the deadlines to withdraw from a class.

Under no circumstances may a course be dropped after students have earned a grade.


Students enrolled in CCSNH courses through Running Start will obtain dual/concurrent high school and college credit.  The CCSNH grade for the course is determined by grading criteria established by the college.  The high school grade is determined by grading criteria established by the high school.

The college does not mail grades to students. Students may obtain grades and student account information online by going to the individual CCSNH college’s Student Information System (SIS).

Transferring Credits

Based on surveys from former students, most students who have taken CCSNH courses through Running Start have been successful in transferring their credit to other colleges and universities.

No institution of higher education can guarantee that its credit will transfer to every school.  Credit recognition remains the exclusive prerogative of the institution granting it.

A grade less than a "C" (including a C-) will not transfer to any other institution, including the other colleges in the Community College System of New Hampshire.

There are two types of credit transfer:

Course-to-Course Credit Transfer: The CCSNH course will substitute for another course (for example, College Composition I for Freshman English).

Elective Credit Transfer: The CCSNH course credit will substitute for an elective course (for example, Human Biology for Lab Science Elective).

Credit Transfer is dependent on many variables including the student’s major area of study, the grade in the course and the student’s willingness to produce proper documentation such as the course syllabus or a course portfolio. Students should be prepared to provide this documentation. Credit transfer is not automatic - even to other colleges in the Community College System of New Hampshire. Click here for a list of colleges that have accepted course credits from our Running Start students.

To have an official CCSNH transcript sent to the college or university you plan on attending, complete a Transcript Request Form and either mail or fax it to the Office of the Registrar at the college through which your course was offered. Most college catalogs will indicate where official transcripts should be sent - usually the Office of Admissions or the Registrar’s Office. You may download a transcript request form from the college web site using the links at the top of the page.

Student records are protected by federal law. Only the student can request a transcript and the request must include the student's signature.

Helpful Hints

If a college Admissions Office or college application asks if you have ever taken courses at another college, indicate "yes" as a part-time, non-matriculated student at the specific NH Community College.

In both correspondence and discussion with college officials, refer to your course by the college course number and name, such as ENGL 110, College Composition I, not the high school course name. Do not refer to a CCSNH course as a Running Start course.

Students should be sure they have requested, and the college has received, an official CCSNH transcript of all courses taken through CCSNH.

If a question arises regarding the transfer of credit of a CCSNH course, the student should request that the college official making the decision review the course syllabi, course description, student portfolio or other pertinent information. If you do not have a copy of the course syllabus, contact the teacher who taught the course. Course descriptions also may be found in the CCSNH college catalog or on the CCSNH college web site. If the institution needs further clarification or evidence of the work completed, students should ask the Running Start Coordinator for assistance and encourage college officials to do so at any time.