Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Running Start?

Running Start is a concurrent enrollment educational program that provides high school students with the opportunity to earn college credit while also completing the requirements for high school graduation.

The Running Start Program is a partnership between the Community Colleges of New Hampshire and high schools that allows high school students to take CCSNH college courses at their own high school, during the regular school day, taught by qualified high school teachers.

What is the difference between a course in the Running Start program and an Advance Placement (AP) course?

There are many differences between the courses offered through concurrent enrollment programs and courses offered through other accelerated learning programs such as Advanced Placement (AP):

  • Concurrent enrollment courses are college courses.
  • Concurrent enrollment students earn transcripted college credits that may be transferred into many other colleges/universities across the country.
  • Concurrent enrollment students earn a college grade based on a variety of assessments, not just one high-stakes test.

Who is eligible to participate in this program?

Course offerings are restricted to juniors and seniors. Exceptions to this policy require prior approval from the appropriate college faculty department head. Further restrictions may apply as determined by the college. For information regarding eligibility requirements of a specific course, contact the high school guidance counselor.

How do I register for a course?

To register for college credit, students must complete a registration form, have it signed by a parent or guardian, and submit it with payment by the specified deadline. Registration forms may be obtained from your teacher at the beginning of each semester. Students cannot retroactively enroll in a college course. All college prerequisites must be met.

What courses are available at my high school?

Talk to the high school guidance counselor to learn what courses are offered at your high school.

What does the program cost?

Tuition is $150 per course, plus books and supplies if not provided by the high school. Some scholarships are available.

Can I access my grades online?

The college does not mail grades to students. Students may obtain grades and student account information online by going to the individual CCSNH college’s Student Information System.

How do I know if my credits can transfer to a specific college or university?

While no college/university can guarantee the transfer of credit, a survey conducted of alumni students shows that a majority of postsecondary institutions in the U.S. grant either elective or required credit for courses. It is important for students to contact the universities/colleges that they would like to attend, to verify how each school handles transfer credits. Policies vary by institution and state. Policies may also vary by academic department within a postsecondary institution.

How do I request a transcript?

To have an official CCSNH transcript sent to the college or university you plan on attending, complete a Transcript Request Form and either mail or fax it to the Office of the Registrar at the college through which your course was offered. You may download a Transcript Request Form from the college’s website that offered the course. Due to FERPA regulations, transcripts can only be requested by the student.

Can I take a course online?

High school students interested in taking CCSNH courses online for concurrent credit should visit the eStart website.

Can I take a college course if I have a disability?

Students with disabilities are expected to demonstrate the same level of understanding of course material, and meet the same minimum skill performance standards as all other students receiving college credit.

Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) and 504 plans will not be applied to these curricula if college credit is being sought. In order to receive college credit, the curriculum must not be modified.

Students in need of college level accommodations should contact the Coordinator of Disabilities Services at the college through which the course is being offered and submit appropriate documentation of their disability. After reviewing the documentation, the Coordinator will work with the student to develop a Reasonable Accommodation Plan. For best results, contact should be made early in the semester or, if possible, before classes begin.